Sunday, November 15, 2009

TLC RULES!


I think once in awhile, we all love a good freak show. That is why one of my favorite networks on T.V. is the Learning Channel, better known as TLC. Their regular programming does not impress me, but I just LIVE for the specials that air on weekend nights. A classic favorite of mine is, "Joined for Life," a documentary based on two conjoined twins that share an entire body, except they each have a head. This story of two cranky teenagers just trying to make it in the world was meant to be inspiring, but really it was just a gawk-fest. No matter how many questions Abby and Britney Hensel tackled, I was still left with more. The twin on the left (Abby) controls the left arm and leg, while Righty, AKA Britney, works the right arm and leg. Oddly enough, one can't feel any sensation of the other side. Yet, they can walk, play baseball and even make a pathetic attempt at dancing. Though they still need to practice gettin' jiggy, I am pretty impressed with the Hensels. I still trip at least once a month, and I control both my legs and only have one brain.
In their small hometown, the Hensels are treated like they're just normal twins, and not a sideshow attraction at the 1904 circus. What's even more surprising is how individual they make themeslves out to be. They each even have their own driver's license. There's only 2 feet behind the wheel, but I guess 2 heads constitutes 2 licenses. What puzzled me even more was their desire to do their makeup, hair, and try to push their cleavage out. Then again, I guess I wouldn't expect them to go out in the world looking hagrid. If my sister and I were conjoined, I wouldn't let that get in the way of putting on my makeup every morning. In fact, it might be a little bit more motivation to look good, since your competition is sitting on your right shoulder.





Another show I watch each week on TLC is called 18 kids...and counting!

This show is exactly how it sounds. It is about a 40 something Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar, and their 18 kids. No joke. Only 2 sets of twins in this mix. All delivered by Michelle in 20 years of marraige. Their oldest is 19, and he just got married and became a first time father.
Here's the kicker: Michelle is pregnant again, and their grandchild will be six months older than their own child. These Arkansas natives live a Christian lifestyle where they believe children are a blessing from God, and that to take birth control tempers with the mighty hand of God in deciding how many children a family should have. I personally couldn't be happier, as this makes for some of the scariest T.V. I have ever seen. Michelle herself looks like Sister Mary Clara circa 1982. Check out that awesome hair! Do you think she uses the pony shampoo they carry on the farm? I think one of my aunts tried to get bangs like this in the 80's, but she couldn't afford all the aqua-net.

So thank you, TLC for always keeping me informed, expanding my knowledge, and raising my self-esteem.

No comments:

Post a Comment